sidelined
It's been a while since I blogged about something inane - then again, it's also been a while (a longer one, in fact) since I blogged about something thought-provoking. Ah, fuck it. It's way too early in the morning to excite my philosophical bent.
So I spent the day wandering around this obscure area of Singapore called Ann Siang Road with two friends browsing through novelty stores (one of which I thought was pretty cool) and extremely upscale boutiques. Nothing caught my eye except a book - yeah, I know: who the fuck looks at books while on a shopping trip; evidently, I do - titled Consciousness by (I think) Rita Carlton. Seems fairly interesting, except it costs S$30. Fuck that shit. Granted John Searle and Daniel Dennett contributed short writeups... but still, S$30 for that basic philosophy of mind stuff? I can do better at Montreal's 'The Word' or maybe even 'Astro Librarie'.
We went to Vivocity next, and I got me (well, one of my friends picked it out for me) a decent bag for school. It's pretty nice, actually. I really like it a lot. Now I'm loathe to use it because I don't want to soil it accidentally. But it defeats the purpose of me keeping it at home in its pristine condition. Anyway, we ended up watching The Simpsons, but since this is by no means a blog you come to for movie reviews, I'll let you make your own decisions and minds about the movie itself.
In retrospect, I didn't do much at all today. My two friends enjoyed themselves shopping and browsing around, and to a large extent, I did too. Yet I couldn't help but feel I was sidelined. I wouldn't really go so far as to say that I was marginalized, though the concept remains the same. I know both of them didn't do it intentionally, but I was inadvertently left out because I wasn't a part of their common history. I didn't understand their conversations and quips about mutual friends, nor could I really appreciate why a certain club was better than another. One of my friends asked if I was bored, and at that point in time I wasn't, because I was observing a photographer taking pictures of the architecture around Ann Siang Road.
I guess... ah, I don't know. I'm tired, really. Look at the time. I should be sleeping. But while my body's tired, my mind isn't. It's going at a 100 miles an hour and processing tons of ideas and thoughts and reflections - and not just on how I spent my Saturday too.
Fuck this. I'm going to try and get some sleep now.
So I spent the day wandering around this obscure area of Singapore called Ann Siang Road with two friends browsing through novelty stores (one of which I thought was pretty cool) and extremely upscale boutiques. Nothing caught my eye except a book - yeah, I know: who the fuck looks at books while on a shopping trip; evidently, I do - titled Consciousness by (I think) Rita Carlton. Seems fairly interesting, except it costs S$30. Fuck that shit. Granted John Searle and Daniel Dennett contributed short writeups... but still, S$30 for that basic philosophy of mind stuff? I can do better at Montreal's 'The Word' or maybe even 'Astro Librarie'.
We went to Vivocity next, and I got me (well, one of my friends picked it out for me) a decent bag for school. It's pretty nice, actually. I really like it a lot. Now I'm loathe to use it because I don't want to soil it accidentally. But it defeats the purpose of me keeping it at home in its pristine condition. Anyway, we ended up watching The Simpsons, but since this is by no means a blog you come to for movie reviews, I'll let you make your own decisions and minds about the movie itself.
In retrospect, I didn't do much at all today. My two friends enjoyed themselves shopping and browsing around, and to a large extent, I did too. Yet I couldn't help but feel I was sidelined. I wouldn't really go so far as to say that I was marginalized, though the concept remains the same. I know both of them didn't do it intentionally, but I was inadvertently left out because I wasn't a part of their common history. I didn't understand their conversations and quips about mutual friends, nor could I really appreciate why a certain club was better than another. One of my friends asked if I was bored, and at that point in time I wasn't, because I was observing a photographer taking pictures of the architecture around Ann Siang Road.
I guess... ah, I don't know. I'm tired, really. Look at the time. I should be sleeping. But while my body's tired, my mind isn't. It's going at a 100 miles an hour and processing tons of ideas and thoughts and reflections - and not just on how I spent my Saturday too.
Fuck this. I'm going to try and get some sleep now.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home