answers
I've been thinking about why I chose to study philosophy. And honestly, I'm still not too sure about the real answer(s). Initially (read: 17), I wanted to pursue philosophy because it presented itself as a greater challenge to me than psychology. I'd initially set my heart on reading psychology after reading Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams and skimming through Jung's Man and his Symbols, and found the field of studying the human psyche to be all too fascinating.
Then I happened upon an introductory philosophy text in the library - and it literally changed my life. After all, I might be conducting psychological experiments now instead of reading Avicenna and Stroud and Kant etc.
But one of the answers that I came up with was that I want answers. I don't really know answers to which questions though... I've been so absorbed throughout my entire university life in figuring out answers that I've never really asked many questions since my initial philosophical phase. Or rather, I've got way too many questions that cannot be answered in any logical defensible fashion.
So after all that thinking about why I'm in philosophy, the answer is... I don't know.
Then I happened upon an introductory philosophy text in the library - and it literally changed my life. After all, I might be conducting psychological experiments now instead of reading Avicenna and Stroud and Kant etc.
But one of the answers that I came up with was that I want answers. I don't really know answers to which questions though... I've been so absorbed throughout my entire university life in figuring out answers that I've never really asked many questions since my initial philosophical phase. Or rather, I've got way too many questions that cannot be answered in any logical defensible fashion.
So after all that thinking about why I'm in philosophy, the answer is... I don't know.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home