Monday, September 25, 2006

fall

So. What have I been up to? School, mostly. And slipping ever-so-slowly into the daily routine of arising, washing up, eating, studying, eating, cleaning up, then sleeping. That's about it, really.

The two upsides to this is that I've gotten official notice of getting onto the Dean's List for 2005/2006, which honestly doesn't really mean anything to me; the other is getting a whole bunch of new songs to listen to. It may not seem much to you, dear reader, but to me, it's something that I'm excited about.

School so far has been awesome. I love all my Philosophy classes, and for one of them, I'm actually able to keep up with the conversation and discussions during the seminar, which is great. If you recall, I would usually freak out in Honours seminar classes because everyone knew so much more than I did - but well, I guess the last 2 years of formal Philosophy training has paid off. It probably is also because it's Metaphysics, and it happens that we're dealing with some of the questions that I used to think about at night a few years back.

In my Medieval Philosophy (I), the going is slow, but the material itself is pretty interesting. I'm not hot about reading Christian documents from the Church Fathers etc, but it lends itself very well as a foundational backdrop to medieval philosophy. It's a necessary evil, one might say. Let's just say that between revealed theology (or revelation, to you) and philosophical justfication, I'll put my money on philosophical justification. At least then I have some measure of guarantee that I have a JTB (much as JTB is being slowly phased out).

The only absolutely boring class that I'm in right now is a Religion class. It's called Death and Dying. I thought it would be a little more philosophical, but dang it, it's truly inundating me with facts about religious reflections and rituals about the death and dying processes. I admit that I haven't really put much thought into my own mortality, but I can say that Death doesn't bother me - Dying does. I wouldn't want to die a painful death. That would suck big time. Enough about me: the readings for the class are dry, slow, boring, and I suspect that if I did any of the readings (yes, dear reader, I have not doen any of the readings for this class since Day 1), I would either transmogrify into a slimy slug trapped within an existential crisis, or become so fixated on Death and Dying that I'll start believing that Nosferatu is romping around in my living room instead of my roomie's kitty.

Hmm... for those who might be curious as to what I'm stuffing my head with right now, I'm reading:
  1. Quest for Reality: Subjectivism and the Metaphysics of Colour for Honours Metaphysics by Barry Stroud
  2. The Sleepwalkers by Arthur Koestler (it's a book on the history and development of cosmology, concentrating mainly on Brahe, Copernicus, Galileo etc)
  3. A collection of essays and papers titled Is Human Nature Obsolete? : Genetics, Bioengineering, and the Future of the Human Condition, edited by Harold Baillie and Timothy Casey

I would love to read my non-fiction, non-philosophy novels (I've got a whole bunch to read - like re-reading Nabokov's Lolita and actually reading Dante's Purgatory and Paradiso), but man, keeping up with just these three books is insane. Besides, I've still got the readings for Honours Ethics and Religion 378.

Alrighty. Time to finish reading about the Pseudo-Dionysius documents and Plotinus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home