Friday, August 25, 2006

experiment

We all have friends. Right? And of course, we all have a close circle of awesome friends... and naturally, we have a few select individuals that we personally know whom we'd, well, love to strangle - or see strangled - or anything along those lines. Well, not really. They're just people whom we don't really know very well, and only come into our lives once in a blue moon: i.e. they need some form of help from you.

Myself, I've realized recently that I don't have many close friends. Just 2-3, I guess. But when it comes to those "select individuals," man, I know way too many. These are the people that you don't hear from for weeks and months and often years on end, then suddenly, you get an email or an instant message from them, saying they need your help for some survey or project, or they need someone to edit their thesis or report or whatever.

One of these persons - who was my classmate in secondary school - contacted me recently and told me he was comign to Canada to study, and wanted to find out some stuff. I didn't mind helping him, and he asked me about everything... and I mean everything. Even truly retarded questions that I shall not mention here, because they truly are retarded.

Honestly. How, and why, should I help someone who hasn't even bothered to send me one email or instant message (we're on each other's IM list) ever i.e. why should I help someone who obviously doesn't give a goat's hair about me? If you know me as a person, I'm not inherently evil or malicious, but I am a believer of reciprocity. Popping out of the blue one day and asking me for help when you've not even bothered about friendship... how does that work?

And to a lesser extent, there are those that just well, plainly use me. These people use me as a last-minute editor, or as a reference source in order to start writing a report or research paper etc. I don't really mind helping them, cos' ultimately they're the ones losing out on the creative and thinking process, but when these requests come from people that seem so... far away, it does kinda rub me the wrong way.

If I don't help them, they'll probably think I'm being arrogant and snobbish "just because he thinks he knows everything" or "just because he's smart, he thinks he has the right to be arrogant." Well, no. All I ask for is a little reciprocity.

I suppose I was just ranting. Or venting. I just don't seem to be able to find someone who really appreciates me for myself. Heck, I met my ex (the most recent one) because she needed help with a report.

Maybe I'll just not contact anyone for a month or so, and see who actually bothers to take a couple of minutes out of their lives to type me a few words. That'll be an interesting experiment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home