Just thought that I'd blog a little. I just wrote to my dad and told him that I wouldn't expect him to support me if I should pursue graduate studies. After all, I'm thankful enough that I have the opportunity to have an education overseas - and even more so to study something that is seen by most people to be useless. In any case, I shouldn't expect my dad to support me. It's not fair. I'll just have to look for funding like scholarships, bursaries and awards. Heck, I'd be a TA or a Research Assistant. It'll be an interesting job anyway.
Today's Remembrance Day in Canada. Today's the day they remember the soldiers who fell in battle... and well, I can't help but think about where my life is going. I don't know what to do after my BA, to tell the truth. I would want to go to graduate school, but I'm unsure about what I would want to do in it. I would also want to do Law, but I certainly don't want to practice it in any way - so as you can tell, I'll be pretty much doing Law just for kicks. At the same time, I think it would be interesting to teach philosophy to teenagers in cegep here. At least they'll appreciate philosophy, unlike back in Singapore. I still can't quite understand how they can just dismiss philosophy just like that. I mean, come on, I'm getting an education in skills that no other discipline can give you but will be useful in ANY job.
And to think... those soldiers in WWII didn't have the luxury of thinking about these things. They were literally swept along by the tide of events. Or swept along the force of life, as I'm thinking right now. I wonder what it's like to huddle in a trench with all hell breaking loose all around you, grasping your weapon for security, and listening to the dead silence of your soul.
And what does that mean for the human condition? I still can't quite define what 'the human condition' is. Is it merely the state of the human race as a whole? Is it a general conception of 'human nature'? I honestly don't know. I'm tempted to call it a global consciousness, but I don't want to lapse into phenomenology or emergentism here.
I'm probably ranting here... I'd better stop.
Today's Remembrance Day in Canada. Today's the day they remember the soldiers who fell in battle... and well, I can't help but think about where my life is going. I don't know what to do after my BA, to tell the truth. I would want to go to graduate school, but I'm unsure about what I would want to do in it. I would also want to do Law, but I certainly don't want to practice it in any way - so as you can tell, I'll be pretty much doing Law just for kicks. At the same time, I think it would be interesting to teach philosophy to teenagers in cegep here. At least they'll appreciate philosophy, unlike back in Singapore. I still can't quite understand how they can just dismiss philosophy just like that. I mean, come on, I'm getting an education in skills that no other discipline can give you but will be useful in ANY job.
And to think... those soldiers in WWII didn't have the luxury of thinking about these things. They were literally swept along by the tide of events. Or swept along the force of life, as I'm thinking right now. I wonder what it's like to huddle in a trench with all hell breaking loose all around you, grasping your weapon for security, and listening to the dead silence of your soul.
And what does that mean for the human condition? I still can't quite define what 'the human condition' is. Is it merely the state of the human race as a whole? Is it a general conception of 'human nature'? I honestly don't know. I'm tempted to call it a global consciousness, but I don't want to lapse into phenomenology or emergentism here.
I'm probably ranting here... I'd better stop.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home